Public Entity and Civil Rights Litigation
Our firm has over 20 years of experience in handling public entity liability matters in civil courts. A significant strength of Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin is the regional representation we provide insurers and self-insureds. The practice group defends public entities in the state and federal courts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Florida, Delaware, Ohio and New York, and in the various administrative agencies.
Public entity liability encompasses a broad range of claims against local governments and townships, including claims against police departments, zoning boards and school districts. Our attorneys have defended local governments against claims of:
- Excessive force by police
- Improper police pursuit
- Failure to maintain real estate or highways
- Negligent design of roads
- Inadequate traffic control devices
Members of our firm have also defended zoning boards in:
- Land use claims
- Claims arising from political or racial discrimination
Our representation of school districts has included:
- Claims alleging improper student discipline
- Inappropriate student contact
- School bus accidents
- Claims arising under the Rehabilitation Act
- Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act
The Public Entity Liability Practice Group has also handled various employment liability matters on behalf of governmental agencies, such as:
- Claims of violation of the Police Tenure Act
- Claims of discrimination in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Title VII
- Other federal and state statutes
Our civil rights practice involves defending claims that allege deprivation of an individual's civil rights by a public entity. Such claims are brought under 42 U.S.C. 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, and 1986 and may be "stand alone" claims brought by third parties or employees and may be combined with claims of employment discrimination.
We handle every case with a practical, results-oriented approach that balances strong representation with realistic cost containment. We would welcome the opportunity to work with you in handling your public entity and civil rights litigation. We are also available to give presentations and conduct training seminars at your location or ours.
Marshall Dennehey Warner Coleman & Goggin serves clients in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale and communities throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Ohio, Florida and New York.